Monday, March 11, 2013

Skylar is here!

Well she's three weeks old but it's been a very busy three weeks! :) She was born on Saturday February 16th at 8:35 a.m.  At about 3:00 Saturday morning Travis and I woke up to Brody screaming (very not like him to wake up during the night). We went upstairs and he seemed like he had a fever and was shaking.  We brought him back down to our room and as Travis was giving him some Tylenol I went out to the kitchen to get something and my water broke.  I couldn't believe the timing lol.  I went back into our room and told Travis and we called our parents and as soon as his mom got here to stay with Brody we headed to the hospital. It was so hard to leave Brody (especially since he wasn't feeling well) but we also couldn't wait to meet Skylar. We got to the hospital around 4:00 a.m. and they informed us that just about every pregnant woman in the area decided to have their babies that night so we wouldn't be able to get right into the OR for my c-section.  At first the nurse was telling us that we were just waiting on one woman to have her baby and then it turned into "we will try to get you into the OR by 8:00)  So, for four LONG hours I had to suffer through very painful contractions with no meds..and the whole time I kept thinking about how crazy my mother was for having me with no pain meds.  I found out after my surgery that I had made it to a 6 before they got me into the OR ... completely not how I expected this labor/birth to go but I didn't care at all once that sweet girl was in my arms :) She is absolutely perfect and sweet and gorgeous :)) 

I also need to add that my consistency was amazing.  I had Skylar at 36 weeks, 1 day- Brody was born at 36 weeks, 2 days....both of them weighed 6 lbs 9 oz and they were both born on the 16th :)

 
 

It was amazing to me how much had changed at the hospital just since we had Brody 17 months ago.  All of the things I didn't like about my first c-section experience were no longer the way it was done. This time I was not left in a recovery room by myself, they took Travis and Skylar there to wait for me and as soon as my surgery was finished we all got to be together. They even gave her her first bath right next to my bed and then she was right back into my arms. We also decided that we were not going to have tons of family come up to the hospital this time (I was SO overwhelmed/exhausted last time)  I knew it would be better if we used the time in the hospital mainly for bonding with our new baby and for me to recover.

 
 

 
 

We only ended up being in the hospital Saturday and Sunday night (amazing for the combination of a c-section and a preemie) but the Dr asked us if we wanted to go home and I was definitley ready to get home to Brody.  I had worried for a long time about how Brody would react to the new baby since he is so young and wouldn't understand a lot of the changes that were coming his way. Well, after three weeks of visitors, not feeling well and not getting all of mommy and daddy's complete attention I can tell you he has handled it SO well and I am SO proud of him and so lucky to have such an amazing, sweet little boy.  He loves his baby sister so much and talks about her and gives her kisses daily.  We are settling into being a family of four very nicely and couldn't be happier! :)




No comments:

Post a Comment